Breastfeeding, unsettled babies, perinatal mood: excellence in evidence-based care. Because beginnings matter.
Yes, it is possible to end the problem of conflicting advice given to new parents!
Our charitable organisation Possums for Mothers and Babies (ACN 162 221 892) aims to give every family expecting or caring for a baby the chance to learn about community-based Neuroprotective Developmental Care (NDC), also known as the Possums programs. The Possums programs offer the latest evidence-based approaches to breastfeeding, cry-fuss problems, sleep and maternal mood, and are developed out of fifteen years of research. Our programs are a genuine paradigm shift - we flip some of the popular advice parents receive upside down. We integrate the very latest lactation science, including ultrasound studies on the biomechanics of infant suck, neuroscience, evolutionary biology, gut science, sleep science, attachment psychology and a new set of powerful psychological strategies known as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, to give you and your baby the very best possible beginning. We offer:
- The Possums Centre for parents needing help, face-to-face or by online consultation - our flagship Possums Centre for Education and Research is now offering services at Greenslopes Private Hospital, Brisbane
- Online self-help programs about sleep and gestalt breastfeeding
- PIPPS - for connecting parents who are interested in the Possums programs
- Certification days for health professionals, either face-to-face or online
- Masterclasses for health professionals, face-to-face*
- Neuroprotective Developmental Care Accreditation Pathway for health professionals*
Once health professionals become NDC accredited practitioners, their location will be made available on our website for parents to find. If interested, NDC accredited practitioners may then apply for a license to become a Possums Clinic.*